Two minutes. Twice a day. Every. Single. Day.
Did you know that you spend 24-hours every year brushing your teeth? A shocking statistic for this activity that I thought of as a “chore” I understood the impact of oral health on my OVERALL health.
So, since we are investing lots of energy and money into these guys hanging out in our mouths I say if we gonna do it, do it right (yeah, yeah yeah yeah). Plus, things like decay, tooth loss and gum disease are just not in scope for our 2020 wish list.
Brush it, brush it reaaal good.
You might be brushing but what if you’ve been doing it wrong all this time? Brushing is the OG warrior fighting the good fight against plaque. Here is a step-by-step brushing checklist:
- Turn your brush away from you and check to see whether the bristles are splaying outward – if they are or it’s been four months since you bought it, it might to time get a new one as recommended by the American Dental Association;
- Tilt your toothbrush so that you’re brushing at a 45o angle, guiding your brush closer to your gum line;
- Your technique should be a continuous circular shape with gentle pressure. Hard core side-to-side might be your go to dance floor move but it aint going to cut it in here.
- Gums like to live in the shadows but do enjoy a soft bristle massage – cleaning any leftover lunch from your gum line;
- Party in the front, business in the back. It’s all well and good showing some love to the surfaces of your teeth but don’t forget about your behind 😉 (…the part of tooth not visible when you smile); and
- Take your time, two minutes to be precise. Having trouble gauging your routine for this duration? Try listening to short song, cue up a two-minute YouTube video or set a timer on your phone to give yourself the time you need to thoroughly clean your teeth.
Review the questions to see where your tooth brushing score ranks. Give yourself 1 point if you already follow the instruction:
- 5/5?? Kudos, we need to meet so we can talk teeth.
- 4/5 you’re on your way to getting that California beaming so why stop now.
- Below 3/5, let’s give that brushing routine a transformation that could warrant its own reality show.
The perfect partner to your brush is our 4 in 1 Enzyme Whitening Toothpaste or our Extra Sensitive Enzyme Whitening – promising you 82% stain removal… To get the best healthy white smile possible, make sure you are following the steps outlined above.